Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Outlines

I'm not sure how others write, but I can't do anything without an outline.

It's a great way to combat "white page syndrome" which is that overwhelming feeling you get at the start of a book where you have nothing, know you need 50+ pages and just go "oh shit... I can't do this".

I run into that even on books I have planned out well in advance, talked to the boss about and have a full-fledged plan for. It's a matter of having a place to start.

So I do an outline, and then slowly fill it in.

Now if I could find a way to combat the utter feeling of disgust I get at the end of a project, where there's just a little left to do and you're absolutely sick of a book and sure it's the worst thing you've ever written, then I could give up beer and coffee entirely.

Maybe.

Chuck

No comments:

Night Ride Part 1

Night Ride Part 1 “Look, Pa, it’s my turn. Also, Nana is having one of her spells again and she has no idea who I am when she gets this w...