Thursday, January 11, 2007

Video Game Review: Sega Genesis Collection


Classic compilations of old games is a genre that's harder to do than you'd think at first. Emulating an older system with new hardware isn't easy, but even worse at times is that new controllers just aren't built like old controllers.

And of course, a lot of old games just don't hold up that well. I remember thinking Pitfall was *awesome* in the arcade. Now? Not so much.

Still, when I saw Sega Genesis Collection, I snapped it up, largely because of the price. I figured, for 20 bucks, how bad could it be.

As it turns out, it's really GOOD. The games I bought the collection for, Sonic, Sonic 2 and Columns are all great and there are some games I played only a little in the Sega days, like Ecco that appeal to me more now than they did then.

And I've even discovered a game I had never heard of, Flicky, that I am totally addicted to.

The ports are all pixel-perfect and the control scheme just works. You don't even notice that you're using a controller with about 6 more buttons than the class Genesis controller.

No comments:

Night Ride Part 1

Night Ride Part 1 “Look, Pa, it’s my turn. Also, Nana is having one of her spells again and she has no idea who I am when she gets this w...