Friday, January 12, 2007

Dancey speak...

you listen.


And don't neglect to read the comments either, because personally, that's where one of the best insights he offers is:

As a gamer, this is a mini-golden age: a little work on my part and I have access to a wider, and more diverse set of product offerings than have ever been commercially available at any one time before. Via the internet, I can find and join communities of people who share my interests, and often interact directly with the people who make those games in ways never before possible. That's incredibly exciting!

My business focus is on the "industry" side though -- the people I know who are trying to build companies and earn a living making and selling games, and for those people, there are real structural challenges that threaten their ability to succeed; and I find exploring those issues to be perpetually interesting.


This is DEFINITELY true.

As a gamer myself, I understand why many of my fellow gamers can't wrap their minds around the idea that business isn't great right now, because it's a great time to be a gamer.

Unfortunately, one of the many messed up aspects of the gaming "industry" which perpetually forces 99% of all companies to more like hobby boutiques than real companies is the fact that great times for gamers and great times for game companies don't necessarily co-exist.

In fact, in most cases, it seems like you have to pick one.

No comments:

Night Ride Part 1

Night Ride Part 1 “Look, Pa, it’s my turn. Also, Nana is having one of her spells again and she has no idea who I am when she gets this w...