Sunday, December 24, 2006

One childhood on the way...


So I went a little crazy and ordered almost 70 comics from the 70's.


Sounds like an oldies station "70 hits from the 70's coming up, after these messages!"


I snagged a complete run of the Invaders, the classic Roy Thomas comic about Captain America, Human Torch and Namor fighting Nazis in WWII.


Also a big chunk of Chris Claremont's run on Marvel Team-Up, including team-ups with Iron Fist, Black Widow, Shang Chi and Nick Fury.


Finally, I got a bunch of old Power Man/Iron Fists, including the entire Claremont/Byrne run and a chunk of the Mary Jo Duffy run.


I got low-grade copies, average quality Good and spent less than a dollar each for almost every one of these so I can, you know, READ them.


That said, I haven't read any of these since the 70's so I'm curious to see what doesn't hold up for me now. I have memories of all of these as AWESOME.


Will I find Baron Blood's battles with Union Jack as cool now as I did then? Will I be as wowed by Nick Fury shooting Spider Man in cold blood and leaving him lying in a pool of his own blood?


My gut tells me HELL YEAH, but we will see. Maybe some childhood memories should stay in childhood? Here's hoping the answer is no.

The image is from the new Ed Brubaker Captain America run (which is AWESOME) and which includes a lot of cool beyond belief flashbacks to the Invaders, part of what triggered this nostalgia kick in the first place. Also should give an idea how cool (and scary) the Invaders were when they were kicking Nazi ass.

No comments:

Night Ride Part 1

Night Ride Part 1 “Look, Pa, it’s my turn. Also, Nana is having one of her spells again and she has no idea who I am when she gets this w...