Thursday, March 30, 2006

When dinosaurs die: my feelings on the State of the Industry

So Gareth, who owns Adamant entertainment has posted his thoughts on the state of the RPG industry here.

Well worth a read, if you're willing to listen, which most gamers unfortunately are not. One replied on the ENW boards "I'll believe it when I see it".

In other words, until a company HE patronizes goes under or HIS local game store closes, everything is fine.

Since he probably buys from WOTC and Green Ronin, everything will be fine. Forever. No matter what.

Now for my thoughts. First, I agree with most everything Gareth said, go read that.

But, and this is a big but... I don't see it as necessarily a bad thing. Right now RPG companies supporting the traditional distribution model are seeing that model die out from under them.

And in my best Kirk voice I say "Let them die".

Right now a small industry is supporting two larger ones. The inverted pyramid is toppling. As companies move to pull themselves free from the current model, companies like Hero and Green Ronin who are now focusing on selling direct to consumers via the web and Amazon, the die off is accelerating.

RPG companies are the rats, living in the jungle off insects in the shadow of giants.

I think, when the extinction event (as Gareth called it) is over, we might be able to become the humans.

Heck Id settle for being a giant ground sloth myself.

Chuck

No comments:

Night Ride Part 1

Night Ride Part 1 “Look, Pa, it’s my turn. Also, Nana is having one of her spells again and she has no idea who I am when she gets this w...