Monday, December 10, 2007

Simple Pleasures Part II: Space Empires edition

So I have lately become a full-blown Space Empires IV addict.

What is Space Empires? Well, it's basically Civilization (the computer game) in space. If you're ever played Master of Orion, then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

But Space Empires has a lot of really rad features.

I was playing very, very deep into a game recently, when I began researching the Stellar Manipulation tech tree, something I hadn't paid much attention to in the past. The early rungs of the tech ladder let me do things like create solar storms or get rid of them (not very exciting).

But, I decided to climb that area of the tech tree just to see what was there. I hit the ability to destroy planets, turning them into asteroid fields, and to collapse asteroid fields into planets.

Interesting. According to myth, the Earth was created in 6 days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis! We'll do it for you in 6 minutes!

So I research more and... and...

I discovered the ability to make Ringworlds and Dyson Spheres.

God I love this game.

And, it's an indie game that seems to be largely the work on one guy, which makes it even sweeter. I'm not giving my money to Capcom or Activision or Blizzard or Acti-Blizzard.

I get to play an awesome game and stick it to the man all at the same time.

No comments:

Night Ride Part 1

Night Ride Part 1 “Look, Pa, it’s my turn. Also, Nana is having one of her spells again and she has no idea who I am when she gets this w...