Saturday, June 23, 2007

So, like, Internet Explorer really, really, really sucks

My beloved e-machine recently died on me. She had served me well for several years. So well, in fact, that when I trudged down to the used PC store for a new machine, I essentially bought the exact same specs and year of e-machine.

Having *almost* lost a near-finished book to a PC disaster several years ago (the one that caused me to get the e-machine), I do all my work on an external HD (which is occasionally backed up to CD for an added level of redundancy- yes, I really don't ever want to have to write a 100 page book twice), so the transition to the new machine was almost seamless.

But as I went through the various programs I use, reinstalling them, I thought to myself "no hurry to reinstall Firefox, I have IE".

But I quickly realized that, well, IE is garbage. I mean, like, stunningly bad. It would bog down after about 30 minutes. The memory usage of the program would swell from something modest to completely bog down my entire machine. I'd then have to Cntrl-Alt-Dlt out of IE and restart it, and my machine would run fine again for another 30 minutes.

I was almost ready to grab my warranty and head down to the PC shop, thinking it was the computer. But no, it was IE. Once I installed Firefox, everything worked fine.

Amazing. And almost sad in a way. This is the POS Bill risked his company getting broken up Ma Bell style for? Really?

No comments:

Night Ride Part 1

Night Ride Part 1 “Look, Pa, it’s my turn. Also, Nana is having one of her spells again and she has no idea who I am when she gets this w...