Saturday, January 28, 2006

Godfather video game


My first thought when I heard about EA Game's upcoming adaptation of the legendary Godfather film franchise to a video game was two-fold: "what the fuck were they thinking" and "how bad could this possibly be".

Then I started to hear rumors in sites like IGN and gamespot that the game wouldn't be a straight movie adaptation, that you'd make up your own character and have the sort of non-linear play options found in the Grand Theft Auto franchise.

Then I heard that despite its focus on a new character, you would interact with characters from the movie and that the likes of Robert Duvall, James Caan and Marlon Brando (right before his death) had all contributed vocal talents to the game.

Suddenly I started to realize this wasn't going to be some cheap movie game and might actually have a shot at giving me a chance to step into the world of a movie I love. And the idea of Grand Theft Auto-style gameplay without some of the purile boys-school stuff GTA is married to is always intriguing.

Dont get me wrong, I have played more GTA incarnations than not and its really a breakthrough. I also give props to GTA: San Andreas for breaking the mold of most of the stuff that makes anyone who isnt 14 wrinkle his nose in distaste.

But this game has a chance to be the third entry in the trilogy of games to provide that gameplay *and* an intriguing story (the other two being Spiderman 2 for the PS2 and the aforementioned GTA: San Andreas).

Oh yeah, and then I saw this screenshot from the game and was officially PANTING to play it.

No comments:

Night Ride Part 1

Night Ride Part 1 “Look, Pa, it’s my turn. Also, Nana is having one of her spells again and she has no idea who I am when she gets this w...